Total Hip Replacement Pain Management Period
For an arthritic hip or a diseased hip joint beyond repair pain is a good motivator to seek a better quality of life. Sever hip pain will get you learning what medical options are available. Total hip replacement surgery might be your best or the only option.
Everybody is hip on the “hip shot,” you know, one of those cool cortisone shots. For some people this works really well. For others the shot works for a couple of months. It is inevitable the pain is not going away… it will become worse. As the pain periods between shots get shorter and as the pain gets worse then medication through injection is not working.
Total Hip Replacement And Or Medication Education
Most of the pain management medications for inflammatory arthritis diseases have to monitored by lab testing. Methotrexate, Enbril, etc… the concerns are damage to the liver, infection, death, its not good stuff. Hey, the medical community is a CYA service and BTW the best doctors are practicing medicine. Total Hip Replacement decision time can take about 9-10 months. You might find it goes faster. Of course there can be other complications to change this timeline. Like a fall resulting in a broken hip.
Total Hip Replacement Pre-Surgery
Exercises For Your Mind And Body
Total Hip Replacement Pre-Surgery Plan Setting The Date
Somewhere along this journey you may opt for surgery. A date will be scheduled by your medical provider. A surgical appointment nurse will call you to book your operating room date. The wheels are moving forward. The time goes fast.
Total Hip Replacement Pre-Surgery 4 Week Check List
– Anxiety begins to creep into the mix… put on your “big person” pants and be ready.
– Prepare best as you can with you doctor … you should be confident in your doctor’s procedure. Don’t be looking for new buttons, bells and whistles. We live in the age of miracles…. but there is not phone app to fix your hip. The more success your doctor has had with the procedure being used for your surgery the better it is for you.
– There’s are a couple of pre-surgery components a class and a pre-surgery exam … don’t mess with the schedule show up. This is not a good time for the jitters. You will get an introduction and learn about the process of rehabilitation. The exam is to get a baseline for your vitals.
– Nerves are apparent … A lot of people have had this operation. OMG, perfect strangers will come up to you and start a conversation with you, “oh yeah, my brother had hip surgery yeah, and my Aunt too. Yeah you’ll be fine… Who’s you doctor, yeah, don’t know him… yeah you’ll be walking in days.” Everybody knows about this topic…OMG… if you are having hip surgery DO NOT say total hip replacement surgery again to anybody.
– Try to stay active and healthy… it may be hard to stay active as the pain may be too great. If you can swim (aqua movement) reduces your strain on bones and joints. Your are 1/6 your weight when you are in water. Stretch and be comfortable. PS… this is not a good time to hike a mountain or clean the roof gutters.