Alternative Healing Stretching Relieves Stress
For work most of us are sitting at a desk, using a computer, driving, traveling or standing in place. When stationary for hours at a time the body and mind gets taxed. It is extremely important to move just by standing and stretching even if it is just for a minute or two can make a difference
Stretching at work is simple and can be done right at your desk. It is a wonderful way to give yourself a physical and mental time out from repetitive motion.
Finding time to do stretching exercises into your work-day will help the body to recharge. And it helps to alleviate stiffness and muscles tension from sitting or standing in one place for long periods of time.
Alternative Healing Stretching Tips
Stretching always includes breathing. Breathing relaxes the mind and body and allows for a better stretch. It help to circulate and recharge energy into the body.
Note: Breathing is part and parcel with stretching. It is like a concert or a dance that is timed for each motion of exercise. Timing 3 seconds of exercise take 3 slow breath or 5 seconds take 5 slow breathes.
The 3 to 5 time stretch is a good way to start. Remember when holding a 3-5 minute stretch gently take 3-5 slow breathes in and out.
Simple Alternative Healing Stretching Exercises
Sitting at a computer all day long is very hard on the body putting stress on the upper back and shoulder.
Upper-Back Shoulder Stretch
- Sitting with straight back with feet on the floor, place hands on back of the head interlocking fingers. Slowly breath IN pushing your head gently forward with the hands, then slowly press the blades of shoulder together for 5 counts then release breath out.
Wrist Fingers And Wrist Arm Stretches
Our hands, wrist and arms are used the most for repetitive motions when at work. The keyboard on a computer, texting on phones, filing all these can fatigue the body and can often cause stiffness.
- Locking fingers, palms out and extend arms reaching out from the body. Slowly rotate wrists with palms facing out. Gently breath IN and stretch timing for 5 seconds, release breath out.
- Stretching wrists and grabbing fingers with one hand with the other hand gently pulling back, the arm will be extended out. Breathing IN holding stretch for 5 seconds, exhales and release at the same time.
Alternative Healing Stretching For Sleepy Legs
Being in a stationary sitting position can cause sleepy legs, with feeling of pin and needles in the feet. This is most typical form sitting at a desk or when traveling in a car, especially long distance driving.
Leg Lifts Get The Blood Flowing
- Sitting upright feet on the floor with hands on lap. Gently breath IN slowly lifting left foot off the floor. Unbend the knee while lifting the leg until parallel to the floor.
- Take 5 gently breaths hold timing to 5 seconds, then slowly bend in the knee returning foot to the floor. This is good to do 5 times alternating legs.
Alternative Healing Relaxation Exercises
To relieve feeling over stressed at work take a minute to chill out with a relaxing exercise to unwind and recharge. Sit upright with hands in lap slowing close eyes and gently take a long breath IN.
- Isolating exercises are easy to do, simply by clenching a tight fist, but not to the point of feeling pain. Gently breath timing the position 3 to 5 five counts then release. Repeat this at least 5 times. This form of exercise relaxes the muscles and mind from pent-up tension.
- The same isolation exercise works muscles in the forearms, legs, abdomen, chest and even the face
The rule of thumb when at work is to make an effort to move after being stationary for 45 minutes. You don’t have to run to the gym if your time is precious. You can turn your workspace into a mini gym by adopting some of these simple alternative healing stretching exercises. Your body and mind will appreciate it if you do.