Night Sweats Remedies And Triggers
There really are natural remedies that can help ease and relieve the frustration of night sweats. Nothing is more uncomfortable than waking up in a puddle of sweaty sheets, especially in the middle of the night.
Night sweats, as we all know, is a common occurrence for women often related to menopause. It can also be a pain in the neck for men. This is often caused by a medical condition, medication or poor diet.
Vitamins and Herbs to Prevent Night Sweats
What can you do to replenish vital nutrients that are being leached out of your body?
There are several herbal remedies (plants) that can cool your system and increase oxygen. Night sweats deplete vitamin B, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium.
Some of these nutrients can also be found in food or by taking supplements. If you have a nutritionist, herbalist, or doctor it’s best to discuss your options when suffering from night sweats.
As with any medicine, natural herbs are quite powerful and a particular one may be more suited for you than another. It usually takes a combination or formula of herbs to balance what is missing in our bodies rather than just one specific herb.
Herbal Night Sweat Remedies for Men
- Sage assists for men and women in soothing nerve endings involved in sweating and impart results if night sweats is due to anxiety. Sage can be taken in a capsule or with tea. If with tea, take it with cold green tea before bed as hot drinks contribute to night sweat.
- Astragalus facilitates smooth blood flow in the skin. The improved circulation of blood in the skin will assist the body to disperse heat without excess sweat.
- Osha has a restraining effect on virus and bacterial attacks that initiates night sweats in men. It also assists in eliminating toxins from the body through perspiration.
Night Sweats Herbal Remedies For Women
- Black Cohosh relative to the buttercup has been used for centuries to treat menstrual difficulties. A minimum standard dosage of between 40 and 80mg daily to treat night sweats is best.
- Chasteberry increases the amount of progesterone made in the body. Also called vitex, a natural herbal remedy for night sweats.
- Dong Quai is a Chinese herb that stabilizes blood vessels and beneficial for easing night sweats. When sweating, according to Breastcancer.org, blood vessels dilate to diffuse the excess heat.
- Licorice Root a powerful root, believed to reduce estrogen while increasing progesterone. Used for the treatment of hormonal problems, abdominal pains and insomnia.
- Red Clover is recognized by UMMC as a natural herbal circulation aid. Used traditionally to improve circulation and to remove excess fluids from the body. The plant contains isoflavones that have an estrogen-like effect on the body.
Once a night sweat occurs the sweat is absorbed and wicked away so quickly that the bamboo sheets above and below are only 10% damp compared to 100% drenched.
Simply roll over to the other side of the bed and within an hour the sweat is literally gone, magically evaporated into thin air! Another wonderful trait of bamboo sheets, they are odor resistant.
Case studies on bamboo socks, t-shirts and sheets found that the fabric will resist odors under the worst of circumstances.
Night Sweat Triggers:
To help ease night sweats consider avoiding or modifying triggers. These are best to avoid before hitting the hay.
- Hot drinks
- Acidic foods
- Spicy foods
- Alcoholic beverages
- Hydrogenated or saturated fat
- White sugar
- Hot Weather
- Hot Tubs or Saunas
- Unexpressed Anger or Stress
- In tense exercise or love-making
Resolving night sweats using natural remedies and avoiding triggers can be a blessing. If you have any natural remedies that have worked wonders for you, please share them with us.