The Magical Powers Of Color
The colors we choose can create a therapeutic environment, whether it is a piece of clothing, a food we eat or the color we paint on a wall. Our ancestors believed color held healing energies and magical powers. Today, living in an era of science and technology color still holds a fascination. Numerous studies have been done by advertising pros, psychologists, fashion consultants, designers and many other professions on the effects color has on moods, health, image, and the environment we live in. Colors stimulate us to eat faster, spend more money, relax or inspire us.
Each color holds specific energies and stimulates us differently. As children we are drawn to bright colors, and as adults we prefer those same colors in more subdued colors. For example, fire engine red creates activity and intensity, whereas pink is more subdued and lessens the stimulation of those same emotions. As a result, we have to be selective in the colors we choose to wear, place on a wall or the environment. Creating too much of a specific color can over stimulate the senses.
Each Color Represents Wellness
- Red creates passion, intense emotions, activity, aggression, anger and vitality. In home design, it is best as an accent color to draw attention to an object. Too much of this color in a room can make the room feel hot.
- Yellow is uplifting and joyful. It makes people feel happy and inspirational. In home design, it is best used as an accent color drawing an eye to a detail; and used as a room color makes the room feel warm and happy.
- Green signifies life and freshness. It is also cool and relaxing. This color is versatile and easy to introduce into a home color scheme.
- Blue is relaxing, calming and serene. Many people feel this color used in a room makes a room cold and uninviting. If the correct shade of blue is selected the room can feel tranquil.
- Purple is regal, calming and cleansing. This color used correctly soothes emotions and creates a balance within.
- Black is the absence of color. White on the other hand is all colors. Black used in room design is best as an accent color; it sets colors apart. White on the other hand is clean and simple. People feel safe in choosing this color for a room since it creates a perfect balance for them.
- Neutrals are simple and uncomplicated. These colors are borrowed from the world around us. They are natural and create a sense of connection to and security in the world around us. Neutrals used in a room design lend themselves nicely to introducing accent colors and textures.
- Metallics add eye-catching interest. The use of metallic items can spark ideas and add a sense of grandeur or a touch of opulence. Used in home design it is stabilizing and comforting. It enhances the flow energy.